On August 25 1839, the Earl of Orleans lay down its first stone. In 1749 this beautiful structure is over. A magnificent stone aqueduct, 539 metre long, made out of 23 basket-handle arches , leaning on 22 pillars.
The Canal is about 8,82 m wide lined with two tow paths. Its dimensions allows only a one way navigation. Entirely built out of dressed freestone, it steps over the Garonne river in the town of Agen.
A lock and a basin are located downstrean of the aqueduct bridge and another basin is located upstream.
Jean Baptiste de Baude , Highways Department engineer, was responsible for the Canal des Deux Mers construction on the lateral section to the Garonne river.